10 easy methods that you can use right now to become less overwhelmed
Image source: vivianaandone.ro
- First of all, make a list of all the tasks you have to do. Put it out of your system and on paper. If you already have done this, do it again, write them on a clean to do list.
- From that list what can you delegate, postpone or not do it at all? I know that the first thought is that “nothing” could be postponed, take another look and think it putting yourself first. Time is limited, you don’t have to do all. Choose some that you can just give up. For example, if you have on the list grocery shopping that will take 2 hours, just order some take out and that’s it.
- From that list, book some time in your calendar for activities that will require focus. For example, doing a report for my manager: it will take me 4 hours, and is due by Friday. I will block in my calendar Thursday morning and announce everyone that you are not available between 10.00 and 14.00. Any urgency will be dealt with after this.
- Don’t multitask. One task at a time, with relaxing breaks. Feeling overwhelmed will not make things happen. Having a free and focused mind, will.
- Reframe your thoughts. Instead of thinking “I will never manage this.”, think “it is a difficult and loaded period but I have all necessary abilities to make it through it successfully.” Put at least 3 thoughts you have when you feel overwhelmed, on paper and reframe them.
- Take a moment and imagine yourself at the end of this loaded period. Imagine that 6 months passed and your best friend is going now through something similar in his life. What would you say to him/her? What advice would you give? Wright this on paper.
- Think of a person you admire. What will he or she do in your place?
- Relax your body. Take one minute and pay attention to your body and what muscle are tense. Move a little, relax them consciously
- Encourage yourself and write down 3 positive things you will say to you after this period will pass.
- Don’t miss the bigger picture. In a way or another, inevitably the time will pass, things will solve, with stress or without stress. Promise to yourself that you will manage to solve them with as little stress as possible.